JahSync: The Free Calendar Sync Solution

Thursday, May 25, 2006

0.1 Bugs and gotchas...

Now that I have the pre-pre-pre-release version available, I'll talk a bit about the limitations so far, and what I'm trying to achieve. The goal of JahSync is to provide a smooth, simple way to easily update your Treo, Clio or Freeo (the last doesn't exist) datebook with the contents of your Google Calendar (which went live sometime in April). And of course, to do the reverse, moving events from the PDA to Google. I have elected to use Java as my development platform, so I'm developing on the PalmSource JSync CDK, which allows one to access the Palm Hotsync and Palm-based devices from Java, using a provided library. In addition, I'm making use of the JahSync Conduit Manager, a third-party Java tool that helps to manage the installation and de-installation of Java conduits with your Palm device.
To the limitations so far; the version I have up, 0.1, is crap. It is mostly a proof-of-concept at this point. You can hotsync and your appointments on the Palm will go up and the ones on Google will come down. However, do it again, and you'll end up with duplicates. Again, you'll get triplicates. See a pattern? This is basically because I'm learning as I go along, so once I have worked out the details of the synchronization method for new, modified and deleted events, that will go away. There are a couple of promising directions I'm trying out, so keep watching on that.
BTW, you'll need to put in your Google calendar username and password (in the Hotsync Custom dialog) for the synchronization to work. At the moment, this is not stored, so each time you start up Hotsync, you'll have to reenter them.
If you download any of the versions of JahSync, please provide useful feedback or comments; I'll try my best to act on all the valid criticisms & suggestions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home